When Should You Choose Design-Build?
Design-build offers unique values and benefits that are not found in any other type of building design and construction process. Below we outline the key values behind design-build and also briefly describe the benefits in using this approach.
Design-Build Key Values
- Integration: Design-build focuses on combining the architectural, engineering design, permit, and construction services in a single contract in order to streamline the traditional design-bid-build environment.
- Value engineering: Supports the pursuit of doing “more for less” while maintaining top quality.
- Consolidate schedule: Unit oversees and consolidates the schedule of all involved designers, contractors, sub-contractors, vendors, and involved parties.
- Team approach: The perspective of the owner, designer, builder, and all other team members are shared and incorporated.
- Reduce client’s time involved with the project: The owner knows the project is in good hands and can focus on the success of their own business.
- Total Budget: Get the expertise of a group who has 35+ years of experience orchestrating all aspects of design through construction to get a realistic budget and control overall costs.
- Singular Responsibility: A single point of responsibility means you can focus on scope/needs definition and decision making, rather than on project coordination.
- Quality: The increased responsibility implicit in design-build serves as a motivation for high quality and the proper performance of building systems.
- Cost Savings: Designers and contractors working as one team means increased use of value engineering and constructability practices.
- Time Savings: Design and construction can be overlapped and bidding periods and redesign time eliminated, resulting in time savings.
- Potential for Reduced Administrative Burden: The owner has one point of contact and does not need to invest time and money with coordination of several contacts.
- Early Knowledge of First Costs: Because the entity responsible for design is simultaneously estimating construction costs and can accurately conceptualize the completed project, guaranteed construction costs are known far sooner than otherwise possible with a lower initial investment.
- Risk Management: Individual risks are managed by the party in the best position to manage that risk. Change Orders due to drawing and specification errors are eliminated because the correction of such issues is the responsibility of the design-builder, not the owner.
- Balanced Award Criteria Leading to Best Value: The award mechanism can include design quality, functional efficiency and team experience allowing the owner to select a proposal that reflects the greatest value.